Monday 17 October 2011

Two sides of Clapham

I spent Saturday in Clapham...an odd occurrence for an East Londoner like myself you may feel but then Sam lives there so that's reason enough.


It was such a gloriously sunny day that I mentally huffed and puffed at the weekend service tube line closures and bus services on my way down, eager to get out in the sun before it got dark.  I was at least rewarded with a glorious few hours on Clapham Common, albeit in a cardigan and tights.  Despite the other week's tropical weather it does seem to be heading towards more usual October temperatures now.  I noticed that the BBC is using pale yellow, green-ish and turquoise-y blue icons for the temperature on the weather forecast, as opposed to the oranges and bright yellows of summer.  It's all ok though as I have a new coat, scarf and hat I'm eager to wear and have started my annual trawl of all the boots in the world (well, London and the interweb anyhow) to try to find a pair that fit.  3 years of failure are behind me, I'm determined this year!


After a meat feast dinner (plus sides) at Bodeans...great food and lots of men on 'man dates' being all manly and eating plates of ribs that have you wondering if there are any cows left standing in the world...we ventured out for the evening.  We were headed to Brixton but had to venture to Clapham Juction to get the bus and saw a very different side to the blissed out Common of a few hours previously.  Yep, drunk idiots fighting on a skanky chucked out mattress.  Bleugh.

We passed though on the way home, skirting the kebab shops as, as Sam said, they're bad for your health.  Not the kebabs, the actual shops...there's always some fight or other kicking off in there.  A mini epicentre of dirt, belligerence and bad manners on an otherwise lovely area.  Oh well, I'll choose to hold the Common, sunshine and relaxation in my mind...

No comments:

Post a Comment