Tuesday 5 April 2011

Day out in Brixton

Now,  ‘day out’ and ‘Brixton’ are not normally words you would see in the same sentence, or uttered by me, I admit but it turns out that it is more than possible to have a lovely day out in the Sarf London heartland…especially since a few people in the last week (random - I suspect a Brixton conspiracy) told me about the Brixton Village Market and I discovered that The Ritzy sells beer.
  

Saturday was a beautiful sunny day so I met the lovely Sacha for a wander round Brixton Village Market, coffee and a lovely Anzac biscuit (for which I must find a recipe) and we sat outside, inside to enjoy our beverages.  I like the concept of a sheltered outdoors area.  It’s like an acknowledgement that the British weather is not necessarily great the majority if the year but that we’re a hardy bunch who like to sit outside.  Sort of like a helping hand for our health in its continuing war with our wishes, which often put it in jeopardy.



 Also, there was....bunting!! Who could ask for more than bunting, snacks and bright surroundings?




I liiiiiiiike this arrangement.  Sort of rubbish but cool, bright and makes me smile, which pretty much sums up my favourite aesthetics.

After coffee we explored a bit and saw Florence Welch, from Florence and the Machine in a teensy tiny vintage shop, which was rather exciting.  Turns out we have similar tastes in vintage knick knacks also, which is nice.  I haven’t got a picture though as that would be a bit weird and stalkerish.


I did get a picture of these giant snails though, yours for only £3.50 each.  They were, no joke, as big as my hand, maybe even bigger.  I would have put my hand in for scale but they were a bit gross and we were already making a bit of a fuss and I didn't want to risk offending the shop owner.  I'm assuming, since these were at a food stall/ shop, that you're supposed to eat them?


The lovely weather was fading just a little bit so we decided to head to the Ritzy, where we were met by our handsome significant men-folk, and watch the world go by with a cold beer or four.  Although it is a lovely spot, it is on a massive cross-road so not really an ‘al fresco’ spot.  We therefore sat inside, near the doors, for the best of both worlds.


The Ritzy had the most beautiful flower arrangements on the tables, which were themselves fabulously shabby-chic.  I'm definitely going back to watch a film there. 

This was followed by a few quick games of pool.  They were quick because the men-folk were playing, Sacha and I would have gotten far more value for money out of each £1, but there you go.  Thems the breaks (boom, boom). 

4 comments:

  1. I'm I supposed to take from this that you went to Brixton covered market and DIDN'T get pizza at Franco Manca's? Madness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Argh, I didn't know it was there!! Or was that the place with the horrendous que..? I wanted to eat at many, many of the places I saw and I'm definitely going back in order to do so. I may have found a small bit of south London I like...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes, I have heard that the queues can be ridiculous during the day. We went about 7pm on a Saturday night and it was fine - bit odd eating in a deserted market though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked that coffee and sitting outside, inside! Also, we definitely would have gotten way more out of our £1 game had we been the only ones playing but alas we had to let the boys look cool.

    ReplyDelete