Tuesday 29 March 2011

Fourth Plinthism Sunday Viewing

On Sunday I found myself, my favourite wandering companion and my hangover in Trafalgar Square admiring the new fourth plinth installation - a giant replica of Horatio Nelson's flagship, HMS Victory.  In a bottle.  By Yinka Shonibare.


The material used for the sails is especially beautiful African type fabrics, which are a bit difficult to see here as the angle is awkward and the sky was so beautifully bright it's made the photos go weird....



Lovely though, eh?



It was also a good opportunity to check out the Olympic count down clock, albeit with added paint-bomage after the Cuts protest the day before (wrecking, kettling, outrage etc).  It's a shame that a few idiots feel the need to wreck everything in their path and completely sideline any legitimate protest that goes on.

I for one though will not have my Olympic spirit dampened.  I am VERY excited about it all and am currently working out what tickets to register for.  I'm thinking opening and closing ceremonies, some athletics and maybe some sort of water sport....and definitely a large amount of sneaky at work iplayer-in-the-corner-of-my-screen watching.

The most exciting thing about Sunday was the lack of coat required.  Yes, I was a bit chilly, but I'm British damnit, I refuse to give in!  (I did refuse a 99+flake though.  It's not quite that warm yet.)

No comments:

Post a Comment