Wednesday 9 March 2011

Nu Yoik

Whilst in New York I...fell a little bit in love with Brooklyn - Bedford Ave and Brooklyn Bowl especially - stood atop the extremely high Rockefeller Building to view Manhattan and learnt to play beer pong - final score: Women 2 - Men 1 (losers).  I also took the tour of Liberty and Ellis Islands, which I'd recommend as it was actually brilliant, even my museum averse companion thought so.

More importantly though - look!  Can you guess what this is?



Yup, this is the piano from the film Big.  Or at least that's what the nice people at FAO Schwarz say, I have subsequently been informed that this isn't true but I'm choosing to believe the toy shop people - I mean, who lies to kids?  These extraordinarily happy, clappy people demonstrated how to play it in VERY American fashion...think cheerleaders on crack and you get some way towards their excitement at being giant piano playing/ dancing professionals.  Seriously, I have never seen such a surreal rendition of chopsticks.


Also on the weird but wonderful scale - Giant Pez!!


With my hand, for scale, obvs.


Located at the amazing Economy Candy.  Wall-to-wall sweets, chocolate etc.  We bought lots of sweets, which were subsequently confiscated by the evil security trolls at the base of the Statue of Liberty, because Chupa Chups are a security threat, as are bear sweets, whilst bubble gum is clearly tantamount to a WMD.  Or at least that's what I inferred from their behaviour.

2 comments:

  1. I love America. Giant Pez looks amazing!

    My American friends don't understand why the first thing I ever want to do is load up on sweets and junk food when I get there.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stuffed my face with pretzel flips and mini peanut butter cupcakes. And jelly bears, chupa chups and cola bottles. I'm seriously sugar crashing this week! x

    ReplyDelete