Monday 28 February 2011

Isle of Wight trip(ette)

This weekend involved a lot of travelling, family and eating.  Lovely.  Well, at least I'm pretty sure it was through the haze of my latest head cold.  Afternoon napping played a small part too, which always feels quite decadent at least.



Whilst enjoying a day and a bit on the Isle of Wight we went for a post-lunch walk on Yarmouth Pier, which is the only pier in the British Isles that is constructed completely of wood (except for nuts and bolts etc, obvs).  People donated money (£25) and their name/s are on the planks for all to see - 552 were up for grabs.


At the end of the pier is this lovely little wind shelter in true British seaside-y style and lovely bright colours.  According to t'interweb, who call it a pavilion, which seems a very grand name even if it is lovely, it used to be the Piers Masters Office and have doors and sash windows.  Which is great, but what on earth does a Piers Master do?  More importantly, if I agree to do it can I have the hut, I mean, pavilion?


The sun broke through the clouds and is was a glorious five minutes by the seaside...


...which nicely balanced out some of the hours we spent as patrons of South West trains.

So, sea-air filled lungs, amazing food-filled bellies and lots and lots of sleep and I'm ready to face the week.  And as an added bonus, having had a quick wander about the internet to find out about the pier, I've come across all sorts of interesting facts to utilise on my next trip.  Fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment