Tuesday 17 May 2011

Latest Trip to the Island

The Island in question, in case you weren't aware is the Isle of Wight.  Sam and I hoofed it down over the Royal Wedding bank holiday weekend (did I mention I'm a bit behind on the blogging?) as part of my patented 'Escape the Insanity of London' plan.  See exhibit A below...pizza. *puts head in hands*


As it turns out London was apparently a mass of friendly street parties but I'm still glad to have had a weekend to unwind and enjoy the sea air as always.  We did watch the wedding, coo over the dress (BTW LOVE the choice of McQueen) and catch glimpses of minor royals though.



We took a walk down to the sea, had tea and cake (very, er, crunchy flapjack) at Crusoe's, this unbelievably cute blue cabin on the beach with bottles strung up as wind chimes outside.  I'm definitely going back for proper food at some point, the food looked fab and prices outside London are always a pleasant surprise!



A walk down the seafront along the coast found a metal sculpture of a fish and the most tropical looking blue sea water I was tempted to paddle.  The only slight downside was the small black rain cloud that followed us overhead ensuring that it drizzled on us, and only us, cartoon comedy style.  Tres odd but fairly amusing despite the soggy downside.



Spring has really sprung and there were beautiful flowers everywhere, from these hanging over the wall of someone's garden - very community minded of them to pretty up the street too - to the meadow outside full of daisies.



I felt like I'd stepped back in time in the meadow, that I ought to be wearing a muslin gown and rocking a parasol it was that relaxing it was as if the modern world had fallen away.  I had to make do with battered old trainers, jeans and my favourite stripey Snoopy socks.


I even sat down and made a daisy chain for the first time since I was about 7 years old.  Sam can be seen here modelling the result.  Tres chic, no?


Then I spotted this with my little eye.  The well acknowledged vintage lamp post aka gateway to Narnia.  I decided to get closer...


...and closer...


...but no signs of fauns, talking beavers or Aslan disappointingly.  Although given the surroundings, you can see why there seemed a certainty of seeing them.

All in all it was a very lovely day, relaxed, chilled out, sea, meadow and sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment