Friday 5 August 2011

Holiday!!

I’m going camping!  Have I mentioned it?  Oh, yeah perhaps just a few hundred times to anyone who’ll listen.  Anywho, it’s exciting as we have a fabulous bell tent, which is basically a tent version of a palace.  Well, compared to the usual cheapo Argos two-man that I’ve spent many a festival in.


The tent has upped the game somewhat though in all other stakes.  For instance, crockery.  I toyed with the idea of going retro with some blue and white enamelled gear and looked at some vintage melamine, which Sam refused to let me buy as the colour he decreed “so disgusting I wouldn’t be able to eat my food off of them” but then plumped for some lovely bright stuff from Rice.  Sam had bought we some of the cute tumblers for my birthday so I decided to go with the theme.

We still haven’t got any mugs, which is currently weighing quite heavily on my mind.  I can’t drink tea from a tumbler, it’s too hot, and I must have tea.  Hmm…

We’ve also been toying with the idea of rugs, bunting and duvets.  It’s a palace damnit, and it must be plush.  Also, I’ve been looking at Artemis and Nao’s efforts on one of my favourite blogs, Junkaholique, and am having a fit of keeping up with the Joneses as a result.

Finding somewhere to stay is apparently not something that ought to be left to two weeks before you plan on arriving.  After a bit of a scare where most places were full and after being told a few times that we really ought to have booked in April (we didn’t know we were going to be camping in April – how organised do you need to be?!!) I finally found a site.  Recommended by my friend Lia, who is a camping aficionado, well, compared to me anyhow, we have decided to pitch up (boom, boom) at Slapton Sands on the south coast of Devon.  This has required me to join the Camping and Caravanning Club.  I was feeling pretty middle-aged about it but then they sent me some stickers in the welcome pack so now it’s ok.


Firstly though there’s a week in a rented flat at Woolacombe Bay on the north coast of Devon with ensuite facilities and a proper kitchen and everything.  What?  You didn’t think I’d be camping for two whole weeks did you?  I’m dipping a toe into the weird and wonderful world of camping and hopefully will spend many a long weekend in the future in our fabulous tent but palace or not, me likey mod cons, ensuite shower rooms and balconies over the sea…

No comments:

Post a Comment