Tuesday 23 August 2011

Woolacombe and Mortehoe, the holiday begins!


The summer is here (apparently) and it’s time for a holiday.  Yes, yes I know I’m always jetting off somewhere or other but this was a proper holiday, for TWO WHOLE WEEKS, not just a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it city break.  I haven’t taken a two week holiday since I was a kid, unless you count travelling, which I don’t as it’s not relaxing. 

The first week of our holiday was spent in a beautiful flat in between the village of Mortehoe and the small town of Woolacombe on the north Devon coast.  As the views from the lounge balcony show it was a pretty stunning place.




The first few days were spent sleeping (me) and swimming and surfing (menfolk) but we did manage to take in a few nice meals at the local pubs, 


whilst stuffing pennies into the fireplace,



try a few of the local ales,


laugh at some of the local surf shops (giant Uggs anyone?),


and check out Woolacombe beach on the one nice day of sunshine.  The beach, as you can see, was a little over crowded so we stayed up on the grassy knoll above it and got nice and burnt there instead.  Apparently I will never learn that my vampirical skin + sunshine = ouch.


Woolacombe wasn’t really my scene, a bit touristy, lots of inflatable boats, comedy hoodies and suchlike.  Mortehoe was tiny in comparison, one church, two pubs, 5 shops and a handful of houses and was really lovely to potter about, we even checked out the local craft fair – I’m a bit spoilt by the ones I go to in London though and this was definitely a bit erm, more local.


This gem caught my eye though.  Who doesn’t need their very own knitted nativity scene?!

No comments:

Post a Comment