Tuesday 23 August 2011

Walk


On our last day in the gorgeous holiday flat Sam and I decided to head off for a walk around Mortehoe Point that we’d been planning on doing all week.  It’s National Trust, Jim, but not as we know it….ie there was NO tea shop.  Pah.

The National Trust website describes this bit as, “Gorse and heather covered headland to the north of Woolacombe Bay. A Site of Special Scientific Interest, renowned for its wild beauty and treacherous seas.  Note the capitalisation if you please.




Anyone who knows me at all will know that I'm not a massive fan of Walking (with a capital W) but after the first fifteen minutes where it was a bit windy, drizzly and mucky (sheep live there) it was actually quite good fun.  The coastline is pretty spectacular and I was surprised to discover there were actually lots of types of plants surviving out on the windswept points.



There were also some cool rocks, which helpfully demonstrate the strength of the wind…




We saw plenty of wildlife too.  There was the aforementioned sheep, seals frolicking in the sea (too far away to be pictured without a proper paparazzi style lens) and plenty of walkers with their special shoes, cagoules and walking sticks.  Not to mention their picnics of which I was slightly jealous as I was a bit peckish but really, it’s not that far and they were a bit unnecessary, we managed in hoodies, jeans and brogues (me)/skate shoes (Sam) without much trouble.


Once we’d walked round the point we were able to climb up high and see the village of Mortehoe and Woolacombe Bay beach.



After the Walk we poked about a bit in the shops of Mortehoe, discovering my favourite named beer ever, Exmoor Beast.  I tend to buy wine on the strength of how much the label amuses me but with beer it always just seems a little less advisable…


No comments:

Post a Comment